Learn All About Chronic Back Pain From the Top Back Pain Specialist in Manhattan
June 04, 2020
When you were younger, working all day and playing all night weren’t a second thought. When your friends asked if you wanted to go bowling after a twelve hour shift, your only inquiry was, “What bowling alley do you want to hit?” Attending a late-night concert after spending the day on your feet wasn’t an option because it felt like a great release at the end of the week. These days, chronic back pain makes just getting through your work day a challenge, let alone planning for your evening. How can you return to that pain free life you once lived?
Start by making an appointment at Pain Treatment Specialists, where our pain management experts also want to get you back to a pain free life. Our back pain specialists in Manhattan are Harvard trained pain doctors who specialize in minimally invasive pain management treatments. You don’t need to struggle just to make it through your day after consulting with our pain specialists, who utilize a variety of back pain treatments that allow you to look forward to all that life has to offer.
How A Back Pain Specialist in Manhattan DIagnoses and Treats Chronic Back Pain
When you schedule an appointment at Pain Treatment Specialists, you’ll meet with one of our Harvard trained pain doctors. Our doctors are all board certified pain management experts, who have spent their careers helping patients avoid surgery for issues like herniated discs. Your pain doctor listens carefully to your back pain concerns, and then diagnoses and treats your chronic back pain. At Pain Treatment Specialists, our back pain specialists in Manhattan have a variety of cutting-edge back pain treatments at their back pain clinic including:
- Lumbar Radiofrequency Ablation: For patients who do not react well to steroid injections or treatments, lumbar radiofrequency ablation is a highly-effective back pain treatment. This minimally-invasive procedure uses heat energy, which is the byproduct of electromagnetic waves. These waves move at the speed of light, and the resulting heat energy is used to treat painful nerve endings that are producing pain signals.
- Lumbar Facet Injection: Also known as a lumbar facet joint block, this pain management treatment should only be administered by a board certified pain doctor. Your back pain doctor injects a steroid or anesthetic into one or more of the small joints located along the side of each vertebra, which are located on each side of the spine in the lower back. For patients who suffer from arthritis of the spine, a lumbar facet injection is a highly-effective pain management tool.
Please call our office at Pain Treatment Specialists to discuss one of these minimally-invasive pain management treatments, and get back to living your best life.
Who Are the Top Board Certified Back Pain Doctors in NYC?
When you’re searching for the best board certified back pain doctor, what should you be looking for? Ideally, you want a doctor who has a quality background in pain management, anesthesiology, and pain medicine, and who does not recommend surgery as the only option for back pain treatment. At Pain Treatment Specialists, the best back pain specialists in Manhattan, our team of Harvard trained pain doctors have spent their careers furthering their knowledge of pain medicine and advanced interventional pain treatments. Some of our top back pain Drs. in NYC include:
- Dr. Shane Volney: Dr. Volney is double board certified in anesthesiology and pain medicine, and also spent 7 years as a clinical instructor at Harvard Medical School teaching courses in pain medicine and anesthesiology. Currently, Dr. Volney authors textbook chapters on pain management, and regularly writes scientific articles about the topic of interventional pain medicine.
- Dr. Namrata Khimani: Dr. Khimani graduated from Harvard Medical School with honors, and is a nationally recognized pain specialist by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Khimani’s patients travel from across NYC, and also the country, to receive her highly-effective back pain treatments.
Dr. Volney and Dr. Khimani are just two of the expert pain doctors at Pain Treatment Specialists. All of our back pain doctors are carefully vetted to ensure only the highest quality pain specialists treat your chronic back pain.
How Can I Describe My Back Pain to a Pain Doctor?
Because you’re the person living with chronic back pain, it is difficult to come up with words that clearly articulate how you’re feeling. All you know is that your daily life is affected by chronic pain, and your back hurts more often than not. However, when you meet with your pain management specialist, you’ll have to be more specific about your back pain issues and find the words to communicate how and when your back is hurting. Our back and neck pain doctors offer the following advice for accurately describing your back pain:
- Keep a Pain Journal: For the weeks or days leading up to your visit at Pain Treatment Specialists, keep track of your back pain and note the times when it hurts. Do you feel more back pain when you wake up, go to bed, or complete certain activities? After a strenuous workout, do you feel pain relief or more intense pain? Can you sit up, stand, or lie down without back pain? Recording your answers to these questions will help your back pain specialist in Manhattan determine a proper diagnosis for your back pain.
- Specify Your Language: Again, this is an area that is difficult for many people because when your back hurts… it hurts! You may not think about the specific sensation that you’re feeling. In your pain journal, make sure to note words such as “dull throbbing”, “stabbing pain”, “sharp pain”, or “stiffness.” This also helps your pain doctor isolate the specific motions and sensations that you experience during episodes of chronic back pain.
Don’t put off a full day of fun activities due to chronic back pain. Please call our office at Pain Treatment Specialists, conveniently located in Midtown Manhattan near Penn Station, to see how our expert pain doctors can return you to a pain free life.
Book a Consultation
Scheduling a consultation with one of our pain treatment specialists is one of the best ways to determine the proper solution for pain relief.
Harvard Medical School
Director of Pain Management
Dr. George Hanna is a nationally recognized pain management specialist and Double Board Certified in anesthesiology and pain management medicine. Dr. Hanna is currently available at Pain Treatment Specialists in Manhattan and Clifton, NJ. He is now accepting most major medical insurances, including Medicare.
Harvard Medical School
NY & NJ PAIN SPECIALIST
Dr. Volney is double board certified in Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine by the American Board of Anesthesiology. He is currently seeing patients at our Pain Treatment Center in Manhattan and Clifton, New Jersey. Most pain treatments are covered by all major medical insurances and Medicare.
Harvard Medical School
NY & NJ Pain Specialist
Dr. Michael Nguyen is world renowned in Pain Medicine. Dr. Nguyen completed his residency and advanced Pain fellowship training at Harvard Medical School. During his tenure at Harvard, Dr. Nguyen was awarded the “Mentor of the Year” and also “Teacher of the Year” award.
Harvard Medical School
NJ PAIN SPECIALIST
Dr. Lombardi specializes in the treatment of back, neck, and joint pain. By using a range of minimally invasive modalities as well as advanced procedures, she helps patients achieve a pain free life without the need for surgery. Dr. Lombardi will be offering her pain treatment services in Clifton, New Jersey.