How a Sports Injury Doctor Near Me Treats Sports-Related Injuries
June 25, 2022
While you’re not quite in Olympic shape, you consider yourself a pretty good athlete and very physically active. Even after an intense pick-up game of basketball, you’re typically able to recover pretty well after some hydration and a hot shower. Last week you fell on the court and twisted your knee–and this time you weren’t able to shake it off quite as easily. Even after 7 days, your knee is having trouble fully extending and it hurts to put pressure on it. You’re ready to contact a sports injury doctor in your area to see if there’s something that can be done for your stiff and sore knee.
Thankfully, Pain Treatment Specialists’ pain clinics are conveniently located nearby in northern NJ and NYC. Their team of nationally recognized pain medicine doctors are experts in sports-related injuries, and also treats many high-level athletes for chronic pain conditions. Pain Treatment Specialists’ injury clinic is home to state-of-the-art interventional pain treatments that help patients avoid surgery. Before going another day with knee pain, you decide to book an appointment and see what their sports medicine specialists are able to do for your aching knee.
Who is the Best Sports Injury Doctor Near Me?
Not all orthopedic injuries require surgery, advanced orthopedics, or a consultation with an orthopedic surgeon. The sports medicine specialists at Pain Treatment Specialists provide the proper diagnosis and treatment of your injury, and then customize your treatment plan to alleviate your pain. Surgery is not discussed or considered unless it is medically necessary to repair something torn or cracked. In many instances of sports-related injuries, our team is able to use more conservative treatments to relieve your pain while you heal.
One of the best sports medicine doctors in NYC is Dr. George Hanna. His consistent 5-star patient reviews mention his calm and nurturing bedside manner, in addition to his expertise in pain medicine. Dr. Hanna is double board certified in pain medicine, interventional pain management, and anesthesiology. A former Clinical Instructor at Harvard Medical School, Dr. Hanna went on to become the Director of Pain Innovations and Technology at the University. Additionally, Dr. Hanna regularly presents at pain management conferences across the nation regarding the latest trends and research surrounding pain management.
Dr. Hanna is just one of the nationally recognized pain doctors at Pain Treatment Specialists. Schedule an appointment today at one of our medical centers and begin feeling relief from your painful sports injury.
How Does a Sports Medicine Doctor Treat Knee Injuries?
During your consultation at Pain Treatment Specialists, you’ll be asked to describe any recent accidents, falls, or injuries you may have suffered. Then, your knee pain doctor asks questions about what types of movements cause the most pain, and how this is affecting your daily activities. Next, a gentle physical examination is completed where your knee is palpated and your gait is evaluated. If needed, additional images are ordered to rule out a more serious underlying injury. Finally, your knee pain doctor explains your knee injury, and what your treatment plan includes. At Pain Treatment Specialists, we offer the following minimally invasive treatments for knee pain:
- Hyaluronic Acid Injections: Also known as viscosupplementation, this process lubricates the knee. If you suffer from osteoarthritis, your knee is losing its natural fluid and cartilage. This treatment supplement’s your knee’s natural supply of fluid, which increases your knee’s range of motion and decreases your pain.
- Steroid Injections: One of the fastest and most powerful knee pain treatments is a corticosteroid injection. Your knee pain specialist identifies the exact area for injection, and then numbs the surface of your skin with a local anesthetic. Once the steroid is injected, you’ll begin feeling your pain and swelling subside. This procedure only lasts 5-10 minutes, and you’ll be back on your feet the same day.
- Physical Therapy: PT sessions help you regain strength and mobility in your injured knee, while also treating pain and swelling with different therapies. Completing a pain medicine treatment in conjunction with PT is often utilized for the most effective results.
During your consultation at Pain Treatment Specialists, your knee pain doctor allows you plenty of time to ask questions about your treatment plan.
How Do I Describe My Knee Pain to a Sports Medicine Specialist?
When you meet with your sports medicine specialist at Pain Treatment Specialists, you’ll be asked to describe your knee pain. It is critical that you’re able to articulate when and how your knee hurts for an accurate diagnosis. Here are some tips from our expert pain doctors:
- Keep a pain journal in the few days before your visit. Note the times of day when your knee hurts the most, and what movements cause the most pain.
- In this journal, assign descriptors to the pain you’re experiencing. Do you feel a sharp, stabbing pain? Is it a dull ache? Does your knee buckle when you apply pressure? Can you walk up stairs without a grinding sensation? Are you able to extend your knee fully? These exact descriptions assist your pain doctor with the type of injury you’ve sustained.
- Think of your pain on a sliding scale from 1-10, with 1 being minimal and 10 being excruciating. When you’re completing certain activities, give it a number on this pain scale. Perhaps waking up in the morning is a 1, while walking up stairs is an 8.
Get back in the game after your consultation at Pain Treatment Specialists. As the top sports injury doctor in your area, their team of Harvard-trained knee pain doctors provide long-lasting relief from your sports injury.
Harvard Medical School
Director of Pain Management
Dr. George Hanna is a nationally recognized pain management specialist and Double Board Certified in anesthesiology and pain management medicine. Dr. Hanna is currently available at Pain Treatment Specialists in Manhattan and Clifton, NJ. He is now accepting most major medical insurances, including Medicare.
Harvard Medical School
NY & NJ PAIN SPECIALIST
Dr. Volney is double board certified in Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine by the American Board of Anesthesiology. He is currently seeing patients at our Pain Treatment Center in Manhattan and Clifton, New Jersey. Most pain treatments are covered by all major medical insurances and Medicare.
Harvard Medical School
NY & NJ Pain Specialist
Dr. Michael Nguyen is world renowned in Pain Medicine. Dr. Nguyen completed his residency and advanced Pain fellowship training at Harvard Medical School. During his tenure at Harvard, Dr. Nguyen was awarded the “Mentor of the Year” and also “Teacher of the Year” award.
Harvard Medical School
NJ PAIN SPECIALIST
Dr. Lombardi specializes in the treatment of back, neck, and joint pain. By using a range of minimally invasive modalities as well as advanced procedures, she helps patients achieve a pain free life without the need for surgery. Dr. Lombardi will be offering her pain treatment services in Clifton, New Jersey.