How Can A Knee Clinic Provide Knee Pain Relief?
April 30, 2020
When you’re forced to spend more time at home, it might be a slight inconvenience to everyone in your household except for one– your dog. Extra time at home means more couch time! More belly rubs! More time to screen bomb your virtual meetings! In fact, taking your dog on more walks is one of the most enjoyable parts of both of your days. You grab your buddy’s leash and head outside for the fourth walk of the day. Suddenly, your furry friend gets a whiff of something that piques his interest, and he’s off…but you’re not. Your knee hits the pavement hard, and when you return back to the house after just a few minutes your partner asks why. “I fell on my knee.” you wince.
Knee pain can occur suddenly from an acute injury like a fall, or through chronic overuse or repetitive motions. As your knee pain worsens, you wonder when to go to Urgent Care for knee pain. You decide against it, and begin to search for the best doctor to see for knee pain. Your search results show “Crystal Clinic physicians”, “Dr. Malek orthopedic surgeon”, and “orthopaedic surgeons.” However, you want a knee clinic that doesn’t use knee replacement surgery as their only knee pain treatment option. You see that Pain Treatment Specialists have an exceptionally high rating for knee pain relief, and decide to schedule an appointment.
What Can a Knee Clinic Do For Knee Pain?
When you meet with your knee doctor, they will create a knee pain treatment plan for your specific knee pain issues. At Pain Treatment Specialists, our board certified pain doctors know how to relieve knee pain, and also how to get rid of knee pain. Here are some of the knee pain treatments utilized by our top knee pain doctors:
- Genicular Nerve Block: Also known as G-Block, this is a cutting-edge knee pain treatment. The goal of a G-Block is to “block” the pain signals from a troublesome area in your knee to your brain.
- Steroid Knee Injections: This minimally-invasive treatment option for knee injuries involves an injection of corticosteroid. For patients who suffer from inflamed and irritated knee joints, a steroid knee injection delivers fast-acting knee pain medicine.
- Viscosupplementation: This knee pain treatment in NYC is also known as a hyaluronic acid injection. Since hyaluronic acid is a key component of joint fluid, replacing it through an injection is an excellent knee pain remedy. This treatment can only be administered at a knee clinic, and increases flexibility and mobility in your knee, while adding extra cushion to your knee joints.
- Physical Therapy: Physical therapy provides pain relief through customized exercises and motions.You may even continue your knee pain treatment at home through activities and exercises designed to build strength in your affected knee.
When you’re ready to schedule an appointment with the top knee clinic in NYC and NJ at Pain Treatment Specialists, we’re just a click or phone call away from knee pain relief.
Common Causes of Chronic Knee Pain
After you return from your failed dog walk, you are keenly aware of what caused your knee pain– the fact that you fell. However, there are a variety of ways that a knee can be injured, or suffering from an underlying condition. According to the top knee pain doctors at Pain Treatment Specialists, the following are the most common causes of knee pain:
- Acute Injuries: Your fall while dog walking would fall under the category of an acute injury. These are sudden, and often traumatic knee injuries that can be pinpointed to a fall, car accident, or awkward twisting or jumping. Common acute injuries include a torn meniscus, ACL damage, or a fracture.
- Chronic Conditions: During your appointment at a knee clinic, your knee pain doctor will ask about the types of activities you commonly complete. If you are a runner, basketball player, golfer, or cyclist, you may suffer from chronic overuse from repetitive motions in your knee. Patellar tendonitis, also known as jumper’s knee, is an example of a chronic condition. Bursitis also falls under this category, which is when the tiny, fluid-filled sacs near your knee joints become inflamed.
- Medical Conditions: Your knee doctor will also ask about your medical history to make a proper knee pain diagnosis. If you have underlying health conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, gout, or an infection, these could be the source of your knee pain.
An accurate knee pain diagnosis is best left to a top knee clinic, such as the team at Pain Treatment Specialists.
What Are Some Home Remedies for Knee Pain?
Before you’re able to meet with a knee doctor for a knee pain diagnosis, are there any home remedies for knee pain? If you don’t know what to do for knee pain at home, here are some tips from the top knee pain doctors in NY and NJ at Pain Treatment Specialists:
- Use RICE: No, surrounding your injured knee with a bag of rice won’t help but following this common acronym will! RICE stands for “rest, ice, compress, and elevate.” When you rest your knee, try to stay off of it as much as possible or avoid your normal activities such as exercise in order to limit your knee pain. Ice your affected knee in 20 minute intervals to decrease swelling and inflammation. If you need to be up and about, compress your knee with an athletic bandage or knee brace to provide support. Finally, elevate your knee whenever possible with a chair or other object where you can comfortably rest your leg.
- Over the Counter Pain Medicine is Fine: You can use over the counter pain medicines, but pay attention to dosing and do not take more than the daily recommended amount. If this does not provide sufficient pain relief, it is important to relay this to your knee pain doctor, as it helps identify your pain levels.
Don’t let down your dog’s very high expectations of his frequent walking (and sniffing) schedule. Schedule an appointment at Pain Treatment Specialists, the top knee clinic in NY and NJ, to reward your dog for being a very good boy while you’re home.
Harvard Medical School
Director of Pain Management
Dr. George Hanna is a nationally recognized pain management specialist and Double Board Certified in anesthesiology and pain management medicine. Dr. Hanna is currently available at Pain Treatment Specialists in Manhattan and Clifton, NJ. He is now accepting most major medical insurances, including Medicare.
Harvard Medical School
NY & NJ PAIN SPECIALIST
Dr. Volney is double board certified in Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine by the American Board of Anesthesiology. He is currently seeing patients at our Pain Treatment Center in Manhattan and Clifton, New Jersey. Most pain treatments are covered by all major medical insurances and Medicare.
Harvard Medical School
NY & NJ Pain Specialist
Dr. Michael Nguyen is world renowned in Pain Medicine. Dr. Nguyen completed his residency and advanced Pain fellowship training at Harvard Medical School. During his tenure at Harvard, Dr. Nguyen was awarded the “Mentor of the Year” and also “Teacher of the Year” award.
Harvard Medical School
NJ PAIN SPECIALIST
Dr. Lombardi specializes in the treatment of back, neck, and joint pain. By using a range of minimally invasive modalities as well as advanced procedures, she helps patients achieve a pain free life without the need for surgery. Dr. Lombardi will be offering her pain treatment services in Clifton, New Jersey.